Links

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

The Story of my PancreASS- Chapter One

My pancreas hates me and that's a fact.

It all started - I think - in my youth, where I  would state, quite loudly, that if people thought beauty was skin deep, they hadn’t seen my pancreas, which was beautiful. I was your typical nerdy-looking teen; braces (tick) with funny, weird hair (tick).

Now if you have ever seen the pancreas it really isn’t such a good looking organ, but in all fairness, is any organ really beautiful?

Years later and after some self-doubt and a self-diagnosis of potential hypochondriacism, my husband encouraged me to go to the doctor. I figured he was so tired of my constant complaints of nausea, weakness and a burning sensation in my tummy, to name but a few. Or maybe because he said “Chanene I am tired of your constant complaints”.
I then get sent for an ultra sound. The doctors find a lump. They then get authorization for a CT-scan, I am asked if I had a "boozy night" the previous night, now if you know me I get drunk after a few sips of wine, fast-forward the story through blood tests, a g-scope (the one down your throat not up your bum) more blood tests, more "episodes of sickness", I eventually land up at the Milpark Hospital in Joburg, where I am scheduled for blood tests and a biopsy of my lovely lady lump. Pancreatitis is confirmed. The Lump is obviously what is causing this.
After the longest weekend of my life and 2 days later I was told it is a Neuro Endorine Tumor. And then I was referred to a Professor and an appointment becomes available the next day - my birthday.


1 comment:

  1. Chanaynay,

    Thinking of you, Kevo and Little KK to the A...

    Keep fit sweet child!

    G

    ReplyDelete